//php print_r($this); ?>
The Shift feature in POS gives you the ability to manage your cash drawers during daily operations. Shift Management requires configuration across multiple features and specific security levels (in this order):
TWO THINGS TO ALWAYS REMEMBER...
- When you assign a Workstation to a POS Configuration Group, you are IMMEDIATELY ENABLING the Shift Management feature.
- It is the Workstation that "Opens" or "Joins" a Shift NOT the individual User!!!
A Shift is managed at a specific Workstation through a specific User. Access to Shift Management is not dependent on any Transaction but REQUIRES specific permission levels. A User MUST have the following configured in their Employee Profile to access Shift Management (without exception):
- Personal Identification Number (PIN) - Entering your PIN the is required to access the Shift Actions page.
- The Shift Access check box must be selected in the User Access tab (POS Access section) on their Employee Profile page.
NOTE: If the User is a System Administrator they automatically have access to all of the features but a PIN is still required.
The Tender Types that are included in Shift Management must also be specified and configured. Only Tender Types in which the Include in Deposit check box was selected during configuration are included in Shift Management.
Shift Management can only be accessed from Point of Sale.
To Navigate to Shift Management:
- Click the Shift button on the POS User Interface.
- The Enter PIN pop-up displays over top of the Shift Actions pop-up form, which is inactive.
- Enter your PIN and click Done. The Shift Actions pop-up window displays with the User and Shift Status displayed in the left panel.
Shift Actions User Interface
The Shift Actions page includes all of the functionality and necessary information to manage a shift. The Shift Action buttons (Open/Join, Close, Leave, Add Cash, Drop Cash, Shift Report and Done) are on the right side of the page. Only the applicable buttons are activated at any given time.
In the Screen Shot below, the Shift Status (left) is "Closed" so the only applicable actions for this Shift at this time are to "Open" or "Join" another Shift or print a "Shift Report" for the report that as just closed. Also note that the System Administrator is logged into the system (top right) but "Royal Flush" is the current User.
When selecting ANY of the Shift Action buttons, a Confirmation Message displays giving you the opportunity to confirm that this action, with the noted amount of money is the action you wish to take.
The phrasing in each message is the same except the primary wording for the current Shift Action is inserted into the sentence e.g. the word "Join" replaces "Open" in the Confirmation Message for that process.
Enabling and Disabling Shift Management
Shift Management can be enabled or disabled based on how you configure your POS Workstation Groupings in POS Configuration.
If you have added a Workstation to a POS Grouping at a specific Business Unit in POS Configuration, Shift Management is ENABLED and you MUST have an Open Shift to execute transactions in POS.
To DISABLE Shift Management, do not add a specific Workstation to a POS Grouping. If a Workstation is already listed in the POS Grouping, simply remove it from the Assigned Workstations in POS Configuration. If a specific Workstation is not added to a POS Grouping, and you log-in to a Business Unit using that Workstation ID, an Open Shift is NOT required to execute transactions in POS.
Managing a Shift
When you open a Shift, that shift is given a ShiftID number. That number displays in the Id field in left panel of the Shift Actions pop-up form and also on the Shift Report. Each time you open a Shift, the ShiftID increases by one (1) digit.
If another Workstation in the POS Grouping is sharing a cash drawer and that drawer is already open, that Workstation can simply "join" the shift without having to open that, or a new, cash drawer.
Open and Join
To Open a Shift:
- Log In (Steps 1-3 above).
- To open a shift, click in the Cash In Action field and enter (or use the keypad) the initial amount of your cash drawer.
- Click the Open/Join button. A Confirmation Message displays to confirm that "Opening" the Shift with the noted amount of money is the action you wish to take. If the information is correct, click the Yes button. If the information is correct, click the Yes button.
- The shift details display in the left column. Also note that since the shift is now Opened, that button is inactive while the remaining buttons either remain, or are now activated. The Shift Details include:
- Shift Status Change (Closed to Opened)
- Shift ID Number (6)
- Date (and Time) of the action
- The Last Action for that shift (e.g. Opened, Joined, Closed, Cash Added, Cash Dropped, etc.)
- Performed By i.e. who performed the last action for this shift (Royal Flush)
- Click Done.
The steps to Join a Shift that is already open i.e. add another Workstation to the Shift, are identical except that the Open/Join button is replaced with the Join button.
After you have completed the steps, note that the ID, Opened By, and Date remain the same but the Last Action and Performed By have been updated with the new information.
To Close a shift, Log In (Steps 1-3 above) and click the Close button. The only information that will remain in the left panel will be the User and the Shift Status, which will change to Closed. Click Done to complete the process. Often times you will run a Shift Report at this point.
A Workstation can leave a Shift without having to close the cash drawer. If you do apply any Cash In Action during this process however, Leaving a shift works in combination with the Drop Cash feature.
To Leave a shift:
- Log In (Steps 1-3 above).
- Leaving the Shift
- If you are Leaving the Shift without any Cash In Action, click the Leave button.
- If you are Leaving the Shift with Cash In Action, in essence performing a Cash Drop, enter a dollar amount in the Cash In Action field and click the Leave button.
- A Confirmation Message displays to confirm that "Leaving" the Shift with the noted amount of money is the action you wish to take. If the information is correct, click the Yes button.
- The Last Action in the left panel will automatically change to Left with the Dollar Amount in parentheses and Performed By displays who is the leaving the shift. Click Done.
- Click the Done button.
You can Add Cash to the cash drawer if necessary.
To Add Cash to a Shift:
- Log In (Steps 1-3 above).
- Enter the amount you are adding to your cash drawer in the Cash In Action field.
- Click the Add Cash button. A Confirmation Message displays to confirm that "Adding Money" the Shift with the noted amount of money is the action you wish to take. If the information is correct, click the Yes button.
- Click Done. The Last Action in the left panel will automatically change to Added Cash with the amount added in parentheses and Performed By displays who added the cash.
The procedures to Drop Cash are identical to Adding Cash.
To Do a Cash Drop:
- Log In (Steps 1-3 above).
- Enter the amount you are dropping to your cash drawer in the Cash In Action field.
- Click the Drop Cash button. A Confirmation Message displays to confirm that "Adding Cash" the Shift with the noted amount of money is the action you wish to take. If the information is correct, click the Yes button.
- Click Done. The Last Action in the left panel will automatically change to Dropped Cash with the amount added in parentheses and Performed By displays who dropped the cash.
The Shift Report calculates the variance for all of the transactions across all Tender Types in that Shift. The Shift Report annotates all of the Shift Actions within a Shift (except any Workstation Leaving a Shift without a cash drop) and is formatted for a receipt printer.
The report details all Shift Actions i.e. any Actions involving that cash drawer, including all of the Transactions. The following information will also be on the report:
- The staff member's UserID
- Action Date and Time
- The POS Shift Group, Business Unit, and Workstation.
- The first and last Name of the individual performing each Action.
A detailed Shift Report (standard printer) is available in the Financial folder in Data Analytics. The Header Information on the Shift Report includes Opening Cash, Expected Closing Cash, Entered Closing Cash, and Cash Variance (difference between Expected and Entered Closing Cash).
Shift Case Examples and FAQ's
A standard case example would be to follow the pattern of events in the previous sequence of Screen Shots (the Shift Report is included):
- The cash drawer (Shift ID #6) was OPENED by "Royal Flush" with $100 at 2:15 pm on 4/5/12.
- Logged In to a DIFFERENT Workstation, "Prime Time" later JOINED the Shift.
- A total of $50.14" in cash transactions were finalized during this Shift.
- Since they were cash transactions, the manager (or designated Shift Manager) decided that a CASH ADD was required which was performed by Royal Flush for $100.
- A CASH DROP was subsequently done by Royal Flush for $100. (NOTE: This particular action would NOT be typically done based on the sequence of events in this specific scenario.)
- It is now time to CLOSE the shift.
- Royal Flush ran a SHIFT REPORT to preview the totals. This is optional but the most effective way to view or preview the totals for the current Shift.
- Royal Flush then counted the total amount of money in the cash drawer ($150.14) and entered that dollar amount in the Cash in Action field.
- The Expected Closing amount is the Total Amount of Money (all Tenders) minus the sum of the Opening Cash, Adds, Drops (this includes any cash Joins or Leaves). If these numbers do not match, there will be a Variance.
- Any Variance will be automatically calculated.
- He then CLOSED the Shift and ran another Shift Report. Note that the variance was "0" because the cash amount that was entered matches the amount in the Expected Closing field.
- Can the same User who Opened the shift Join a Shift on another Workstation?...YES
- Can you have multiple Users in a Shift?...directly NO but indirectly YES. A WORKSTATION not a User logs into a Shift. However, multiple Users can log-in to that Workstation if they have the proper permissions.
- Are the "Last Actions" recorded for the entire Shift or just for that Workstation?...The Last Actions that display are for that Workstation ONLY!
- Can you CLOSE a Shift from any Workstation in the POS Group?...YES
|Point of Sale|